Wenger signs new contract-Fifa.com








Florent Malouda says Chelsea's rampant display against West Bromwich Albion today shows how determined they are to step things up a gear, despite enjoying huge domestic success last season.
The 2009-10 double winners endured a tough pre-season but kicked off the defence of their Premier League campaign by hammering the newly-promoted Baggies 6-0 courtesy of a Didier Drogba hat-trick, a brace from Malouda and one from Frank Lampard.
The French midfielder said: "We are champions and we have to improve what we did last season. We had a great record and scored a lot of goals but it's a new season and we have to work harder and be even better than last year.
"It was not easy at the beginning because we had a difficult pre-season, to score early in the game was most difficult thing to do and after that we had to carry on to score more goals."
Drogba, who claims he is feeling fitter than ever after a hernia operation in the summer, said: "I'm really happy with the way we played, we had a difficult pre-season. We all came back at different times but we are winning and it is a good start."
"I am very happy because we played a good game, we showed good football," added Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti. "We were not happy about the four defeats in pre-season, but we started well and that is the most important thing."

Benayoun swapped Anfield for Stamford Bridge in a £6m move earlier this summer.
"I had a great time there and it was a privilege to play at such a big club," he said.
"Everyone knows all the problems at the club but hopefully they have started anew with the new manager and I hope things change.
For his own part, Benayoun is working his way back to sharpness after a brief injury hiccup in training.
"I trained with the (Chelsea) first team for the first few days then I injured my groin and rested for a week," he added. "I came back only a few days ago and I'm sure I'll be fit in a few days.
"I'm enjoying every day and getting closer to everyone. Hopefully I'll be here a long time and be successful.
"I can only say I will work hard as I did at Liverpool and do my best to prove I deserve to be here."

The Blues launch the defence of their Barclays Premier League title on 14th August but first face arch rivals Manchester United in the Community Shield on Sunday.
Ferreira has been on extended leave following his involvement in the World Cup finals for Portugal and Wednesday's friendly against Hamburg represents only his second outing of pre-season.
And despite the first competitive match of the season on the horizon, Ferreira says he would rather be on the pitch in an attempt to regain full fitness.
"It is important that we get to play against Hamburg, we want to start the season well," Ferreira explained to the club's official website. "And after this game we still have a few days to work really well for Manchester United on Sunday.
"It is another important game and we want to be in good shape. The group is like it always is, everybody is happy and we are doing a good pre-season so far.
"I am feeling much better, us players who came from the World Cup started after the others but we have worked hard to catch up and after one week of work you begin to feel much better."
The 31-year-old's involvement in the World Cup means time off has been scarce for the right-back, who helped the Blues to the Barclays Premier League title last season.

The deal will see Nzonzi, who made 33 Barclays Premier League appearances last term, stay at Ewood Park until June 2015.
The 21-year-old Frenchman was named the club's Player of the Year in his first season after he arrived from Amiens and turned in a string of impressive performances for Rovers.
Blackburn chairman John Williams said: "We are delighted to secure Steven for the long term.
"He was outstanding last year - his first in this country - and the new deal is richly deserved. We hope he makes further progress and continues the fantastic form that impressed so many people last season.
"Along with the new contracts also agreed with the likes of Phil Jones, Martin Olsson and Grant Hanley, and the important re-contracting of Morten Gamst Pedersen, this represents further good progress for the club this summer.
"However, there is still business to be done. We remain determined to secure a new striker and I can assure all our supporters that our search continues in earnest in that regard."
Nzonzi, who scored two goals in his debut top flight season, while want to get the new campaign off to a great start when Rovers host Everton on 14th August.

Frank Lampard's goal could not prevent an almost full-strength Chelsea from slipping to a 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat away to Hamburg.
The England midfielder put the Blues ahead in the 24th minute, tapping Michael Essien's unselfish square pass into an empty net, but Mladen Petric capitalised on a mistake by Yury Zhirkov, on at left-back for Ashley Cole, to beat Ross Turnbull with 18 minutes to go.
Worse was to come for the Barclays Premier League champions as Heung Min Son won it for Hamburg with three minutes to go, inflicting Chelsea's third successive loss of the summer following defeats to Ajax and Eintracht Frankfurt.
Carlo Ancelotti named a strong side for the match in Germany, with John Terry, Branislav Ivanovic, John Obi Mikel, Nicolas Anelka, Salomon Kalou and Florent Malouda all also featuring from the start, while Didier Drogba played the second half, his first pre-season outing following hernia surgery.
Manchester City went down 3-1 to Borussia Dortmund in their latest pre-season friendly at the Westfalenstadion.
Paraguay striker Lucas Barrios put Dortmund ahead with a ninth-minute penalty only for Jo, who spent time on loan at Everton and Galatasaray last season, to level two minutes later.
Joe Hart ensured City went into half-time on level terms by diving to his right to keep out a casual Barrios penalty.
But the Germans restored their lead five minutes after the break through Shinji Kagawa and Robert Lewandowski then wrapped up the win in the 81st minute.

Arsenal new-boy Marouane Chamakh showed why Arsene Wenger spent nearly a year trying to sign him with a clinical finish in Saturday's 1-1 draw against AC Milan in the Emirates Cup.
Gunners boss Wenger landed Chamakh on a free transfer from Bordeaux in May after a lengthy courtship and the early signs suggest the Morocco striker will prove to have been worth the wait. Chamakh marked his first appearance at the Emirates Stadium with a man of the match display capped by a predatory first half strike.
The Gunners were denied a winning start to their four-team pre-season tournament however as Alexandre Pato headed a late equaliser for Milan. Wenger has spent most of the close-season attempting to stop Barcelona taking Cesc Fabregas back to the Nou Camp. But, with Fabregas on holiday until next week, the focus switched to Chamakh and fellow new signing Laurent Koscielny.
Chamakh was the star turn as he led the Arsenal attack in the targetman role normally occupied by Robin van Persie, who is still resting after his efforts with Holland at the World Cup. His goal was richly deserved and Wenger now has to decide whether to play him alongside van Persie or alternate the pair.
Koscielny, a French centre-back who cost 10 million pounds from Lorient, is ear-marked to replace William Gallas at the heart of Arsenal's defence and was steady enough alongside Thomas Vermaelen. Arsenal fans will also have been intrigued that Wenger selected Lukasz Fabianski in goal ahead of Manuel Alumnia, suggesting the Spaniard's days as the Gunners' first-choice keeper may be over.
Vermaelen, wearing the captain's armband in Fabregas's absence, almost put Arsenal in front early on with a glancing header that Christian Abbiati clawed to safety. Koscielny was close to scoring an unfortunate own goal when his attempted block of a shot from former Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini sent the ball cannoning onto the crossbar.
But Arsenal always looked lively going forward and Chamakh put the Gunners ahead in the 36th minute. Andrey Arshavin surged forward from midfield and held off Gennaro Gattuso before slipping a pass towards Chamakh, who timed his run perfectly to guide a low shot past Abbiati.

Australian international midfielder Tim Cahill scored a hat-trick as Premier League Everton defeated second-tier Championship newcomers Norwich City 4-2 on Saturday in a pre-season friendly.
Former Everton goalkeeper John Ruddy gifted Cahill a sixth minute opener before the Australian added his second seven minutes before half-time. But Norwich levelled through Andrew Crofts and Andrew Surman in the second half. South African star Steven Pienaar set-up Russian Diniyar Bilyaletdinov for Everton's third before Cahill completed his hat-trick on 71 minutes.
"It's pre-season and it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference if we had won or lost, accept I want us to get in the habit (of winning)," said Everton manager David Moyes. "I'm probably more disappointed with our overall performance than in other games but I've worked the players quite hard this week and I knew that there was always the chance that this would be the game where we would dip a little."
New Fulham boss Mark Hughes watched from the stands as his new side lost 1-0 to Championship team Portsmouth at Fratton Park with Marc Wilson heading in the only goal in the 31st minute. "I think he is probably not too impressed," said Fulham central defender Brede Hangeland of the watching Hughes. "We would like to have won but it matters more in a couple of weeks. Fitness is the most important thing - and preparing for when the Premier League starts."
Newcastle, promoted to the Premier League, drew 2-2 draw with Dutch side PSV Eindhoven at St James' Park. Ola Toivanen and Balazs Dzsudzsak gave PSV a 2-0 lead by half-time before Ryan Taylor and Leon Best ensured the match ended on level terms.
There was a minute's applause before the game to mark the first anniversary since the death of Sir Bobby Robson, who managed both clubs. Carlton Cole scored the only goal as West Ham claimed a 1-0 victory over second-tier Ipswich.
Leeds, also of the Championship, beat top-flight Wolves 3-1. Max Gradel gave Leeds the lead at Elland Road with Matt Jarvis equalising for Wolves. Lloyd Sam and Bradley Johnson then secured victory in the second half. Fraizer Campbell and Jordan Henderson found the target as Sunderland edged Leicester 2-1 while Stoke saw off Burnley, relegated from the Premier League last season, by the same scoreline.

Sir Alex Ferguson described new signing Javier Hernandez as "first class" after the striker scored against Manchester United as they went down to a 3-2 defeat by Chivas Guadalajara on the final game of their Americas tour.
Hernandez played the first half for his old club and the second for his new side and made an immediate impact as he netted after just eight minutes. United drew level two minutes later through another new recruit, Chris Smalling, another United new boy, but goals from Adolfo Bautista and Hector Reynoso made it 3-1 just before the hour mark. Nani pulled one back for the Premier League side in the 79th minute.
Ferguson praised the striker, known as Chicharito, saying: "Chicharito was first class. His goal for Chivas was a marvellous strike. He showed his real qualities. Chivas played very well and they were very quick. They pressed the ball well and made things difficult for us. They deserved to win. As for us, we've been away for three weeks. We've done lots of travelling and I think the players need to go home and rest now."
© 2009 ·EPLGOSSIPS by TNB